Satellite Healthcare is a successful, nonprofit organization that has improved the lives of people living with kidney disease since 1973. We earn our national reputation for excellent patient care each day by offering a complete range of dialysis therapy choices, personalized clinical services, and unparalleled wellness education.
Satellite Healthcare provides expert, personalized kidney care at over 80 centers across the U.S. as well as at acute dialysis locations in California and Texas. Learn more about Satellite Healthcare at www.satellitehealth.com.
The Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) performs the hemodialysis treatment procedure, delivering safe, efficient care of the highest quality and provides specialized professional nursing care in accordance with California law.
The essential functions listed are not a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned. All employees must work in accordance with Satellite's I-CARE Standards.
1. Demonstrates understanding of basic renal function and the consequences of renal failure.
2. Develops, implements, and evaluates appropriate therapeutic care plans for patients, demonstrating an understanding of treatment modalities available.
3. Performs thorough patient assessments, as evidenced by documentation and feedback to the nurse in charge.
4. Understands and performs the hemodialysis procedure according to the unit's policies and procedures.
A. Ensures that all safety checks are completed before dialysis is initiated.
B. Monitors and records dialysis treatment parameters, such as vital signs, weight changes, etc., and communicates information to charge nurse.
C. Responds to emergencies and alarms appropriately.
D. Participates as a team member in achieving desired patient outcomes.
5. Demonstrates willingness to help patients.
6. Acknowledges and responds to patients' needs promptly and appropriately.
7. Observes patients on dialysis, recognizes changes, and takes appropriate action.
8. Utilizes the team approach when assessing patient needs and developing a plan of care by conferring with patient, family, nurses, technicians, physicians, social worker and dietitian when appropriate.
9. Assumes Primary Nurse responsibilities as directed.
10. Communicates significant information to appropriate team members and documents in a clear, concise, and accurate manner. Sees that all paperwork is completed properly during shift when in charge.
11. Administers appropriate medications when ordered. Understands and teaches principles of safe dosage in ESRD, reason for giving medication, and possible side effects.
12. Administers oxygen as necessary by cannula or mask under direction of charge nurse.
13. Obtains blood samples and culture specimens as ordered and performs routine tests. Verifies the accuracy of all orders during treatment, i.e. correct bath, dialyzers, heparin dosage, UFR, etc., if in charge
14. Demonstrates an understanding of the implications of common lab results as they apply to the ESRD patient. Notifies dietitian and physician of abnormal findings and seeks appropriate intervention.
15. Delegates responsibilities appropriately and follows through in seeing that all delegated responsibilities have been carried out in both routine and emergency situations.
16. Understands legal consequences of nursing actions both immediate and long term.
17. Promotes the education of patients and their understanding of their disease and its treatment.
18. Accurately assesses patient's readiness to learn; plans an appropriate teaching method for each patient, and evaluates the patient's learning. Assists other staff members in developing these skills.
19. Knows and follows all SCD policies and procedures for infection control. Understands the hazards associated with failing to follow those procedures.
20. Participates in CPR as needed.
21. Assumes responsibility for special unit projects as directed by the Clinical Manager.
22. Actively participates in facility's Quality Assurance Program.
23. Develops and/or participates in inservice education programs.
24. Orients new staff members to the unit policies, procedures, and principles of dialysis, as well as patient care plans as directed by the Clinical Manager.
25. Maintains professional competence through participation in continuing education.
26. Performs all tasks necessary for the safe, smooth, and efficient operation of the unit. This may include but is not limited to:
C. trash removal
D. water check
E. opening and closing of unit
F. mixing of bicarbonate
G. cleaning machines
H. bath distribution
I. all other responsibilities as directed by the Clinical Manager
27. Washes machines, station area, and chairs according to established procedures after each patient run.
28. Prepares daily dialysis logs and set-ups for each shift of patients as directed.
29. Prepares, records, and files laboratory reports as directed.
30. Stocks and orders necessary blood work supplies, e.g. tubes, requisitions, and envelopes as directed.
33. Helps maintain neat and clean environment.
34. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Contributes to harmonious and constructive working relationships with all staff members to promote a positive and productive atmosphere.
2. Ensures the confidentiality of patient and employee information.
3. Participates in self and/or peer evaluations.
4. Promotes a teamwork approach by offering information, advice and assistance to all unit staff members in a positive, courteous and cooperative manner.
5. Communicates significant information to appropriate team members.
6. Documents in a clear, concise, and accurate manner.
7. Understands and uses communication techniques:
A. Greets patients by name.
B. Speak English only in patient care area unless translating.
C. Listens to understand, not judge.
D. Focuses on the message being sent.
E. Uses reflective listening.
F. Positively acknowledges the patient for sharing thoughts/feelings.
G. Manages conflict in a positive way.
H. Allows patients to vent appropriately.
I. Acknowledges problems/ situations from the patient's point of view.
K. Apologizes (without blame.)