If interested in this opportunity, please visit www.mghcareers.org and apply for JOB ID# 3101999
Direct Link: https://partners.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=3101999&lang=en
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under supervision of the Infection Control Unit Director, the Infection Control Practitioner performs surveillance for healthcare associated infections, oversees infection control measures, conducts investigations, and provides education and consultation to the MGH staff on issues related to infection control.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Indicate key areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation.
1) Performs surveillance for healthcare-associated infections as described in the Infection Control Program. Surveillance activities include but are not limited to:
ø Healthcare-associated infection with standard epimarkers
ø Healthcare-associated line-related bacteremia
ø Surgical site infection
ø Ventilator-associated pneumonia
2) Compiles and enters surveillance data in database
3) Compiles and enters mandated surveillance elements in NHSN via the secure data network (SDN)
4) Analyzes and interprets data on healthcare-associated infections and makes recommendations on additional control measures as needed.
5) Identifies potential infection control problems across the continuum of care.
6) Recommends corrective actions for identified infection control problems.
7) Completes investigative reports, as needed for unusual healthcare-associated infection events as directed by Infection Control Unit leadership.
8) Works with staff to ensure that appropriate isolation precautions are implemented (including nursery and pediatrics) for patients who are infected or colonized with epidemiologically important organisms.
9) Monitors compliance with infection control policies in areas of responsibility.
10) Provides feedback on healthcare-associated infection data to leadership in patient care areas for which he/she is responsible and works with unit leadership on control measures.
11) Prepares reports on healthcare-associated infection data, which are submitted to the Infection Control Committee for review.
12) Provides educational materials and counsels patients and/or families regarding healthcare- associated infections and other infectious diseases as needed.
13) Develops and/or coordinates educational programs, departmental in-services, or informal information sharing sessions regarding prevention of healthcare-associated infection, isolation precautions, and management of patients with communicable diseases.
14) Conducts special studies, investigations of potential problems, or quality improvement projects under the direction of the Director and Chief of the Infection Control Unit.
15) Serves as consultant and resource to hospital departments regarding infection control policies, prevention and control of healthcare-associated infections, and other infectious diseases and isolation precaution techniques.
16) Develops and revises infection control policies as needed.
17) Develops and maintains educational files and teaching materials on infection control, epidemiology and hospital practices for employees, patients, and families.
18) Evaluates and reports certain communicable diseases, as required by state law, to the Department of Public Health and acts as liaison for the Massachusetts General Hospital.
19) Collaborates with the Occupational Health Department on the required follow-up of patients and personnel exposed to communicable diseases.
20) Serves on appropriate hospital committees as a consultant and resource for all aspects of
21) Participates in environmental rounds in areas of responsibility.
Registered Nurse licensed in the state of Massachusetts
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing Preferred; Associate's in Nursing required.
Master’s Degree in Nursing or MPH preferred.
Minimum of 3 to 5 years experience in Infection Control preferred; CIC Certification preferred. Must be prepared to sit for CIC exam within 2 years of hire.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
See Infection Control Practitioner competency document for specific competencies required.
In addition, the following abilities and skills are necessary:
Excellent organizational skills
Excellent interpersonal relationship and communication skills
Excellent speaking and presentation skills
Ability to work well under pressure
Ability to collaborate with staff across departments and skill levels
Normal office conditions, plus ability to make rounds in patient care areas around the hospital and at off site locations
Internal Number: 3101999
About Massachusetts General Hospital
Founded in 1811, Massachusetts General Hospital is the third oldest general hospital in the United States and the oldest and largest in New England. The 900-plus bed medical center offers sophisticated diagnostic and therapeutic care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty of medicine and surgery. Mass General conducts the largest hospital-based research program in the United States and it is the oldest and largest teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School. Mass General is the largest nongovernmental employer in the city of Boston, with more than 26,000 employees.