Health care is constantly changing, and at Banner Health, we are at the front of that change. We are leading health care to make the experience the best it can be. We want to change the lives of those in our care - and the people who choose to take on this challenge. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, we want to hear from you
The Infection Prevention department at Banner Health is committed to connecting the science of infection prevention and epidemiological practices to the people we serve: patients, healthcare workers, visitors, volunteers, and the community. As a Senior Infection Preventionist you will be part of a strong team that works closely with clinical staff and hospital leaders to promote world class patient care. We actively support our employees as they study for their certification in infection prevention and continuing education. You will collaborates with the Department leader in all infection prevention related activities associated with surveillance, performance improvement, and education which are intended to ensure that the facility's patients, personnel & visitors will be protected from transmission of diseases & infection within the facility's environment as identified in the core competency model by the Certification Board of Infection Control and Epidemiology (CBIC). This position will provide Infection Prevention support to the ambulatory division. Schedule is consistent of business hours conducted Monday-Friday.
This is a hybrid remote position that will require travel to Banner ambulatory centers: urgent cares, health centers, imaging, clinics, etc. Candidates must live within driving proximity to a Banner Health facility.
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position provides comprehensive infection prevention and control expertise, including ongoing assessment of performance, prioritization of improvement activities, implementation and oversight of performance improvement projects and ensures ongoing regulatory compliance with infection prevention standards throughout all departments and programs within the facility. The position works closely with both system and facility initiatives. All work processed by the incumbent is considered confidential and protected from discovery, pursuant to state statutes.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Conducts focused surveillance for healthcare-associated infections (HAIs), detects and records HAIs on a systematic and current basis, analyzes HAIs and prepares reports for the Infection Prevention Committee of the facility or ambulatory setting under the direction of the department supervisor. Performs all surveillance in accordance with the National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) protocols and definitions. Reports communicable diseases and other infection data as required by regulatory bodies.
2. Analyzes patient care and practice patterns within nursing, ancillary and medical staff and identifies issues with opportunities for improvement. Identifies patient safety issues, events, trends and deviations from standard of care.
3. Initiates epidemiological investigations of significant clusters of infections and single cases of unusual infection. Serves as a subject matter expert for the facility and system related to emerging infections, public health crisis and emergency management.
4. Analyzes complex data sets at the facility and system level to identify trends in improvement opportunities, compiles reports and presentations for facility and system teams, and assists regional leaders with improvement teams and publications.
5. Serves as a resource and subject matter expert to staff, leaders, medical staff, patients and the community for infection prevention and control.
6. Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
7. Department responsibility, system teams and clinical consensus group. Customers are internal: physicians, employees, managers, volunteers, students, patients and external: public health agencies, general public.
Requires a current RN license with BSN preferred, OR Masters in Public Health (MPH), OR certified medical technologist, OR a bachelor's degree in healthcare related field.
Certification in Infection Control (CIC) is required.
Must have a minimum of five years clinical experience in a hospital setting or disease surveillance experience in a public health setting.
Computer skills, research and basic statistical knowledge is required.
Masters degree in public health (MPH) or other healthcare related field.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.