Location: Macomb, Illinois
The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) is responsible for nursing care according to individual needs of the patient population within the rules and regulations of the Illinois Nurse Practice Act, and managing the operations of the office on a daily basis.
Reports to the Operations Manager
- Interview for nursing history, assessment of health knowledge and maintenance, and document findings in the medical record.
- Obtain medical information, chief complaints, vital signs and diagnostic test results in preparation for physician examination and documents in the medical record.
- Serve as a patient advocate by protecting patient rights and give attention to complaints regarding service.
- Make referrals to other agencies or provides for continuity of care.
- Screen all patient problems either in person or by phone with the resolution being advice or referral to physician.
- Give home care instruction for procedures and medications.
- Provide pre and postoperative instruction for specific surgical and/or medical procedures.
- Document patient education in the medical record.
- Administer respiratory therapeutic treatments and document according to policy.
- Administer irrigations such as foley catheter, enemas, ear wash, and document results in medical record.
- Collect specimens including cultures and provide coding.
- Assist in the application of casts, remove casts, provide patient instruction and document in medical record.
- Perform procedures such as catheterization, suture removal dressing changes following Infection Control Policy and document results in medical record.
- Administer medications by all routes except IV blood & blood products, IV push medications, chemotherapy, or adding medication to existing IV infusions. (including Heparin)
- Assist the physician in the examination treatment of the patient by handing instruments, providing dressings, preparing equipment, etc. according to Infection Control Policy.
- Orient new personnel to specialty.
- Provide emotional support and guidance to patients/family.
- May serve on the STAT Code Team.
- May serve as a Health Care Assistant according to hospital policy.
- Demonstrate professionalism by adhering to performance standards including dress code.
- Insure confidentiality for patients and staff.
- Maintain knowledge by attending appropriate education programs, reading current journals and literature, and documents for yearly evaluation.
- Perform pre-certifications/referrals for insurance companies as necessary.
- Schedule procedures/surgeries as needed.
- Comply with the Springfield Clinic incident reporting policy and procedures.
- Adhere to all OSHA and Springfield Clinic training & accomplishments as required per policy.
- Provide excellent customer service and adhere to Springfield Clinic's Code of Conduct and Ethics Standards.
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
- Educated as a LPN (LVN) by an approved program.
- May perform IV therapy following successful completion of an approved course.
- Current licensure as a LPN in the state of Illinois.
- CPR certification per American Heart Association guidelines required within 30 days of hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Assume accountability and responsibility for own practice and that, which is delegated.
- Works in office setting during the hours the Clinic is available to patients/families.
- Sitting vs. standing averages to 50-50%.
- Minimal lifting requirements. Occasional lifting required for orthopedics, geriatrics and internal medicine.