Location: Suffern, New York
The Registered Nurse provides professional nursing care in an assigned clinic or clinical area, including but not limited to Radiology Diagnostics, Cat Scan, Nuclear Medicine, Ultrasound, MRI, The Center for Breast Health, and Interventional procedures units within Bon Secours Charity Health System. They provide direct nursing care by assessing patients' needs, performing physical examinations, and taking health history and demographic information. In addition, the Registered Nurse plans, develops, implements, administers, evaluates and updates specialized plans of treatment and preventive care regimens in accordance with medical orders and nursing standards, and annotates medical records in accordance with established procedures, implements infection control protocols, and ensures compliance with regulatory requirements. RN must be able to work independently and as a cooperative team member in all aspects of the Radiology Department and assist Radiologist and or physician in providing high quality care to the patient.
Provides patient care skills appropriate for the patient undergoing a procedure or study.
* Accesses and documents patient status throughout procedure, noting any improvement or deterioration in the patient's condition and implements and evaluates nursing care accordingly.
* Assesses patients and administers treatments, medications, and general care according to nursing plan of care, best practices, established protocols and medical orders to treat actual or potential disorders and to optimize the physical and mental well-being of the patients.
* Anticipates, Operates, and provides operational specialized medical equipment (monitors, defibrillator, crash cart, pulse oximeter etc.)
* Performs venipuncture; able to recognize any complications and take immediate action.
* Assists Radiologist/physician during invasive procedure and as scrub RN when needed
*Assist Radiologist/physician as Circulating RN during invasive procedures, continuously observing and accessing patient, and immediately notifying MD of any significant clinical changes
* Coordinates effective handling of emergencies arising from contrast reaction, seizures, cardiac arrest, etc.
* Provides education to the patient and family about medication, medical treatments; disease specific information, follow up care.
* Resolves conflicts.
* Maintains and orders emergency and stock medication, equipment and supplies used in department.
* Maintains accurate patient records for all procedures performed, maintains patient confidentiality, and adheres to all HIPPA standards
* Charges procedures and supplies used in patient record
* Participates in Quality Assurance activities to ensure provision of optimum care and follow-up for patients.
* Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served within his or her assigned Radiology unit.
*Ensures continuity of nursing care by communicating a comprehensive handoff during transition to another nurse (at change of shift, change in assignment, transfer of patient, etc.).
* Participates with other professional team members in a multi-disciplinary approach to nursing care.
* Advocates the patient bill of rights and advocates on behalf of patients and families to ensure continuity and understanding of care given.
* Participates in continuing education programs and in-service education in order to provide the most appropriate nursing care. Completes continuing education programs on time.
* Complies with hospital policies and procedures.
* Actively participates in the performance improvement process including data collection, analysis, plan for change and implementation of changes.
* Precepts and mentors' newer staff on the assigned unit.
* Attends staff meetings.
* May act as preceptor to new graduate nurses to ensure appropriate orientation to assigned units.
* Provides care to neonates, pediatrics, adolescents, adults, geriatrics
* Performs other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
Previous professional nursing experience preferred. Minimum of 2 years of critical care/emergency nursing preferred. BLS & ACLS required. Proficient in IV access. Competent in EKG interpretation. Basic knowledge of radiographic procedures and equipment preferred. Must possess a limited permit to practice nursing, issued by the New York State Education Department, or a valid license and current registration, issued by the New York State Education Department, as a Registered Nurse.
BSN Preferred. Completion of BSN is expected within 5 years of hire
The individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Other: If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, is a 286-bed hospital providing emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services to residents of Rockland and southern Orange counties in New York; and northern Bergen County, NJ. The hospital is home to a recognized cardiovascular program, comprehensive cancer-treatment services, the area's leading Wound and Hyperbaric Institute and outstanding maternal/child services that includes a Children's Diagnostic Center. Good Samaritan Hospital also provides social, psychiatric and substance-abuse services and its certified home-care agency supports residents of the Hudson Valley and beyond.