Senior Nurse Tech LPN FT M/S Oncology Medical Nights
Location: Tavares, Florida
Internal Number: 22028371
May perform the duties in compliance with the role and responsibilities specific to the Senior Nurse Technician in which demonstrated competency under the direct observation of a licensed nurse (RN). Primary function is to assist with the basic care needs of the patient as well as to perform as assigned clinical skills which may include but are not limited to basic care routines and procedures, vital signs, accucheck skills. Proactively functions as a team member in the delivery of safe, competent, therapeutic and cost-effective patient care. Will assist in the care of the following patient populations, geriatrics, adult, adolescent and pediatric patients. Adheres to the essential practices for excellence in hand hygiene. Responsible to adhere to the Corporate Compliance plan, to the rules and regulations of all local, state, and federal agencies and to the standards of all accrediting bodies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Performs as a team member in assisting with safe and effective care routine and activities of daily living (ADL’s). Assists patients with their activities of daily living including but not limited to basic hygiene, skin care, nutritional and dietary needs, elimination needs, physical activity needs and all comfort measures. Maintains respect and privacy at all times.
2. Performs the basic general patient care routines and tasks in a safe, competent, therapeutic and cost-effective manner. These may include:
· Obtain and document vital signs per unit standards. Report abnormal finding to the licensed nurse in a prompt manner.
· Collects lab specimens as directed, per hospital standards
· Collects, reports and accurately documents intake and output information for assigned patient areas.
· Ensures personal hygiene and comfort care is delivered to all patients
· Inspects skin condition on all patients for potential skin breakdown and implements preventive measures per wound/skin protocol and communicates changes in skin integrity to the licensed nurse
· Carries out unit routines including but not limited to the following: Pass ice water every 4 hours, keep patient rooms stocked, keep patient rooms in a reasonably clean and appropriate condition, keep patient bedside trays within a safe reach at all times. Ensures patient rooms are neat and clean.
· Notifies licensed nurse of problematic IV sites and discontinues peripheral IV sites per licensed nurse instructions.
· Maintains a safe environment: observation rounds; keep halls clear of obstacles.
· EVERY HOUR: Conducts intentional patient safety/comfort rounds, assessing the “5 P’s”, in assigned patient areas.
· PROMPTLY responds to patient call lights and basic patient care needs. Immediately notifies nurse of any situation/observation, which would require nursing evaluation.
· Transports patient as directed by health care team.
3. Demonstrates competence in performing the following clinical skills and procedures as delegate:
· Obtains the patient’s accucheck results, informs the nurse of the results and documents the results per procedure; can perform accucheck controls.
4. Demonstrates the ability to organize, prioritize and complete the various tasks duties and routines of a busy patient care workload in a timely manner.
5. Notifies the Department Nurse Manager or shift Clinical Leader and the appropriate Registered Nurse of any deviation from routine or assigned tasks for assistance and review.
6. Acts as a communication liaison for the patient, facility and interdisciplinary health care team.
7. Demonstrates knowledge and competence in communicating and providing basic are to the following age specific patient populations: the geriatric patient, the adult patient and the adolescent patient in a caring, compassionate manner.
8. Demonstrates knowledge and ability to provide care to the following scope of patients, but not limited to, the medical patient, the orthopedic patient, the pre and post-surgical patient, telemetry monitored patient or critical care patient.
9. Demonstrates knowledge, competence and compassion in the care of patients with pain. Observes for and provides age appropriate comfort measures to all patients within the scope of practice. Communicates all observed (verbal and nonverbal) and reported complaints of pain to the appropriate nurse and charge nurse.
10. Assists nurse with patient admissions, transfers, discharges, pre-ops and post-ops patients per hospital routines.
11. Notifies charge nurse and nurse promptly upon completion of admission, transfer/discharge of patient.
12. Demonstrate ability to utilize time in a productive and effective manner to meet the needs of the nursing unit both independently and under the direction and guidance of the nurse. Readily assists nursing personnel as needed and instructed throughout shift.
13. Demonstrates ability to benefit from coaching, guidance, counseling and constructive feedback concerning job performance and responsibilities.
14. Provides clerical Unit Liaison assistance as needed. Utilizes Cerner computer system. Responsible for organizing the inventory needed for patient records.
15. Reports malfunctioning of equipment and process work orders per policy
16. Assists in proper care and maintenance in the use of all unit and patient care equipment: i.e. keeps thermometers, accucheck machines in clean working order per procedure and routines; keeps VS4s and IV pumps plugged into the wall (in the “off” mode), maintains proper storage of various patient equipment such as telemetry units, orthopedic equipment, traction, and CPM machines.
17. Transports specimens to the lab and runs errands as needed and directed.
18. Sits and observes patients as assigned in a one to one sitter clinical setting.
19. Floats as assigned to another unit within the department and outside of the department in a supportive and positive manner.
20. Employee job duties may include transport of hazardous waste from the point of generation to a designated secure storage area. Employee will be required to complete initial training (prior to handling hazardous waste) and refresher training to include proper handling and transport of hazardous waste, and proper selection, use and disposal of personal protective equipment.
21. Other related miscellaneous duties and tasks as assigned by the CLINICAL NURSE MANAGER and/or shift CLINICAL LEADER.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
· Must demonstrate ability and understanding of the age specific care requirements of the following patient populations, geriatric, adult, adolescent and pediatric patient - such as i.e. proper size/selection of patient equipment, communication and safety needs.
· Requires close attention and mental effort in carrying out the multiple assigned duties, recording of blood pressures, I & O, obtaining and documenting accucheck results, and distributing and collecting dietary trays.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· High school diploma or (GED) equivalent is required
· Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Graduate Practical Nurse
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
· Must maintain current Life Saving Certification
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
At AdventHealth, Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ is our mission. It calls us to be His hands and feet in helping people feel whole. Our story is one of hope — one that strives to heal and restore the body, mind and spirit. Our more than 80,000 skilled and compassionate caregivers in hospitals, physician practices, outpatient clinics, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies and hospice centers are committed to providing individualized, wholistic care.