Location: Tyler, Texas
Internal Number: REQ-019827
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
Diagnose presence and stage of diseases using laboratory techniques and patient specimens and studies nature, cause and development of diseases, and structural and functional changes caused by them.
Essential Key Responsibilities:
- Examines and interprets prepared tissue sections and body fluids and secretions by using a variety of microscope techniques, including light microscopy, electron microscopy and fluorescence microscopy.
- Diagnosis, from body tissue, fluids, secretions or other specimens the presence and stage of disease or other abnormalities, utilizing laboratory techniques and dictates findings.
- Identifies the etiology, pathogenesis, morphological change, and clinical significance of diseases.
- Consults with referring physicians about ordering and interpreting tests or providing treatments.
- Provides diagnostic information to the treating/referring physician in the form of a written pathology report.
- Participates in proficiency testing programs and intradepartmental meetings to establish measures to ensure and improve accuracy of diagnoses and quality of care.
- Participates in professional organizations, conferences and seminars to keep abreast of developments in pathology.
- May perform gross examination, dissection and description of specimens according to procedure.
- May train and educate laboratory personnel, students, and residents in the processing of specimens.
- May take photographs of specimens when indicated for patient reports or archival purposes.
- May consult with peers on difficult cases as requested or needed.
- May teach residents on a rotating basis.
- May plan and supervise the work of the pathology staff, residents or visiting pathologists.
- May testify in depositions or trials as an expert witness.
- May perform autopsies.
- May perform on-call responsibilities.
- Completes annual training programs within the required timeframe and regularly attends staff meetings.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality.
- Complies with all State, Federal, professional regulations as well as company and departmental rules, polices, and procedural manuals.
- Adherence to CAP, CLIA, State Regulations, HIPAA, Safety and OSHA Regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Be a doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathy; and
- Possess an unlimited and unrestricted license to practice medicine or osteopathy in the state in which the laboratory is located, and applicable states in which laboratory receives specimens or be eligible to obtain licensure; and
- Completion of an approved four year residency in anatomic and/or clinical pathology; and
- Completion of a one year training in an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education accredited hematology pathology program; and
- Be certified in clinical pathology by the America Board of Pathology or the American Osteopathic Board of Pathology or possess qualifications that are equivalent to those required for such certification; and
- Be certified in a subspecialty program approved by an American Board of Medical Specialties, and is Board Certified in the subspecialty of hematology.
- Board of Pathology or possess qualifications that are equivalent to those required for such certification.
Sonic Anatomic Pathology
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Austin Pathology Associates
About Sonic Healthcare USA:
Sonic Healthcare USA is a subsidiary of Sonic Healthcare Limited, one of the world's largest medical diagnostic companies, providing laboratory services to medical practitioners, hospitals and community health services, with operations in seven countries, on three continents and providing care to over 100 million patients each year. Sonic Healthcare USA is a leading provider of state-of-the-art laboratory and pathology services throughout the USA with eight operating divisions, 350 pathologists and over eight thousand US based employees. Sonic Healthcare USA utilizes a federated business model that emphasizes medical leadership and community based testing services to provide outstanding quality and service to doctors and the patients that they serve. For more information, visit the Sonic Healthcare website
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.