Location: Aiea, Hawaii
Internal Number: REQ-018643
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
The Pathologist evaluates anatomic pathology specimens resulting in a report comparable to the standard of care, and participates as an involved member of Pan Pacific Pathologists, LLC ("PPP") to develop a team-oriented approach to patient care to include: timely inter-departmental consultations, standardized reporting format, standardized specimen protocols and standardized grossing technique. Works with Laboratory Managers, Hospital Administrators and Laboratory Management towards the goal of timely, effective, and comprehensive patient care.
- Possess a broad knowledge of clinical medicine, basic medical sciences, clinical laboratory sciences, and operations.
- Possess a medical doctor and laboratory director Hawaii license in good standing.
- Board certified in anatomic and clinical pathology by the American Board of Pathology in good standing.
- Excellent computer knowledge in Word and Excel and skills in Lab Information Systems (LIS).
- Successfully pass Company pre-employment drug test and periodic and random thereafter.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in English including communication skills by telephone, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and computer literacy required.
- Demonstrated and proven ability/experience in accomplishments in all of our five core values
Without direct supervision, and in accordance with Company policies, procedures and guidelines, this position:
- Provides consultation about the medical significance of clinical laboratory data and communicates effectively in interpreting laboratory data and relating correlation to referring physicians as appropriate.
- Performs anatomic pathology procedures as appropriate.
- Performs autopsies.
- Serves as an active member of the medical staff as appropriate for those facilities served.
- Relates and functions effectively with applicable accrediting and regulatory agencies, appropriate administrative officials, the medical community and the patient population served.
- Defines, implements, and monitors the standards of performance in quality control, quality assurance, cost-effectiveness of the pathology service, and other ancillary laboratory testing programs as appropriate.
- Monitors all work performed in the laboratory to determine that medically reliable data is generated; correlates laboratory data for diagnosis and patient management.
- Performs planning for setting goals, developing, and allocating resources appropriate to the medical environment.
- Provides education direction for the medical laboratory staff and participates in educational programs of the institution as appropriate.
- Selects all referral laboratories for quality of service in coordination with appropriate Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii, LLP ("CLH") and PPP management.
- Promotes a safe laboratory environment for employees and other occupants.
- Participates in the marketing of the Company's outreach business in coordination with the Marketing Department of CLH.
- Adheres to safety, confidentiality, compliance, and legal requirements of the Company and the various hospital facilities where privileges have been granted.
- Maintains a strong and favorable relation with referring physicians and hospital administrations.
- Provides clinical and educational services to entities at hospitals served by the Company including the laboratory employees on a regular basis.
- Participates in Tumor Boards at privileged hospitals and serves as a member of committees of hospitals served by PPP as requested by hospital administrative or medical staff.
- Provides pathology coverage for vacation and CME at other facilities within the Company's network of hospitals and facilities.
- Informs the Compliance Officer immediately of any potential error or omission at the time such is detected.
- Maintains consistent and reliable attendance and complies with Company guidelines on attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Light physical effort (lift/carry up to 25 lbs.)
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, and crouching.
- Frequent prolonged standing/sitting/walking.
- Must be able to see, hear, and respond adequately.
- Extensive computer work.
- Frequent use of telephone.
- Air-conditioned office.
- Subject to electrical and radiant energy hazards.
- Sufficient noise and interruptions to cause distraction.
- Frequent exposure to video display terminals.
- May be asked to work occasional irregular or extended hours.
- Working in proximity to formalin, reagents and other hazardous chemicals.
- Ability to type by touch.
- Ability to perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately.
- Ability to communicate both written and verbal.
- Ability to understand instructions, reason, and make judgments independently.
- Understand meaning of words, ideas associated with them, and their appropriate and effective use.
- Ability to perceive pertinent details in verbal and tabular material.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Aware of customer needs; makes decisions with customer in mind; builds strong customer relationships.
- Proactively conveys a clear, convincing, and timely message; possesses strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- PROBLEM SOLVER: Uses data and logic to quickly find solutions to difficult challenges.
- Works effectively with others to accomplish goals.
- TECHNICALLY COMPETENT: Possesses and maintains the functional and technical knowledge and skills to successfully perform job.
- RESULTS DRIVEN: Achievement-oriented; achieves and exceeds goals; pushes self and others for results.
- BUSINESS SAVVY: possesses business and organizational know-how; understands how to accomplish tasks through formal channels and informal networks.
- Knows how to get what is needed; manages time and workloads for maximum efficiency.
- TEAM BUILDER: Builds cohesive teams and strategic partnerships,
- Makes an impact on people, events, and decisions; affects the thinking or actions of others by means of example or personality.
- Thinks "big picture"; commits to a course of actions to accomplish long-range goals; is forward thinking and adept at seeing future outcomes and results.
- Effectively assigns work and responsibility; supports and provides feedback on performance.
- Equips individuals with the tools, knowledge, and opportunities to develop their skills and improve performance.
- Prioritizes; respects others' time; adheres to schedules and agendas.
- CHANGE AGENT:Initiates and promotes new approaches and transformations to reach a higher level of performance.
- Follows through in all areas; accepts and delivers on responsibilities; requires others to follow through on commitments.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature, type and level of work being performed by the employee(s) functioning in this position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The Company reserves the right to add, delete or modify assigned duties at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. I have read and received the job description listed above and am responsible for following the job description outlined during my employment with the Company.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii, LLP
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.