Location: Kingston, New York
To perform with technical competence a full range of respiratory care procedures for all age patients.
- Performs routine respiratory therapy to include aerosol therapy, oxygen therapy, bronchodilator therapy and chest physiotherapy.
- Sets up mechanical ventilator and monitors patient response to mechanical ventilation as prescribed in the Respiratory Care Department Manual.
- Explains and provides to the patients an understanding of the procedures taking place, expectation they may have and answers to allay fear and gain acceptance and cooperation of the patient.
- Responsible for ABG puncture and analysis, basic machine maintenance and troubleshooting, reviewing Quality Control, critical values notification as prescribed in the blood gas policy and procedure manual, RTs with more than six years' experience may be responsible for Delegated Supervisory duties that may include: performs competencies of therapists, reviews blood gas results daily, review of QC for shifts, trends, corrective actions, review of Daily Maintenance Log, review of Error Log for follow up, advanced troubleshooting as required, maintain equipment and records, perform Quality assurance and acting as a resource. Respiratory therapists with more than six years experience will be educated and competencied on their Delegated Supervisory duties.
- Participates in basic life support by maintaining the patient airway, CPR, and use of manual resuscitator. Participates in advanced life support by emergency intubation when certified.
- Maintains all equipment and supplies in clean, well-repaired condition. May wash and clean various apparatus or prepare for sterilization.
- Adheres to infection control/protocol to maintain asepsis and to prevent the spread of nosocomial infection.
- Clinically competent in all aspects of respiratory care to include a demonstrated knowledge of growth and development in the care of patients of all ages, an understanding of the range of treatment needed by patients of all ages and ability to obtain and interpret information in terms of the patient's needs.
- Attends professional meetings and/or seminars as part of professional development, including 2 1/2 of departmental meetings for full time employees.
- Accurately and completely documents all care and all required logs to ensure patient safety and to meet regulatory requirements.
Graduate of an AMA approved program in Respiratory Care
1 yr. experience preferred, new graduates will be considered
NYS License as a Respiratory Therapist, new hires must have their RRT within 6 months
BLS required, ACLS, PALS, & NRP within 90 days of start date.S.T.A.B.L.E. Certification within 1 year of start date.