Location: West Nyack, New York
** SIGN ON BONUS AVAILABLE **
The Senior Medical Assistant, under the direction of the physician and RN, takes vital signs, assists with data collection, provides direct care and assists with tasks as directed. This position coordinates laboratory and radiology appointments, referrals and directs patients to the proper services with all needed requisitions. Maintains patient charts and logs and provides secretarial support as well as assisting with registration and billing.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care to patients.
- Provides care to patient as instructed in accordance with established procedures.
- Escorts patients to exam rooms, interviews patients, measures vital signs, including weight, blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and documents all information in patient's chart.
- Obtains all related reports, labs and information and files in patients' medical records in accordance with established procedures.
- Ensures that exam rooms are stocked with adequate medical supplies and cleaned in accordance with practice standards.
- Performs required checks (i.e. refrigerator temperatures, emergency medications, expired medications, oxygen, cold sterilization fluid change, etc.).
- Schedules and verifies appointments for patients including verification of patient insurance information.
- Records all necessary patient, guarantor and financial information as each patient is being registered.
- Gathers all proper forms and obtains necessary signatures.
- Collects and provides receipts as required for pre-payment of services and prepares encounter.
- Directs or assists the patient to the ancillary department with paperwork required by the department.
- Maintains all logs, charts and appointment books.
- Checks expiration dates on all stored medications/immunizations/supplies on a weekly basis.
- Updates laboratory /x-ray logs on a daily basis.
- Maintains MSDS book.
- May perform specialized procedures, such as blood draws, conduct EKGs.
- May complete insurance forms and code procedures for billing.
- For certified medical assistants only: inputs data into Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
- Assists with training of new staff members, as needed.
Minimum of 3 years' experience as a Medical Assistant preferred. Certification as a Medical Assistant preferred. Medical Assistants inputting orders into the EMR must have certification from the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA).
A high school diploma or equivalency required.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Bon Secours Charity Medical Group
Bon Secours Charity Medical Group, part of Bon Secours Charity Health Systems (BSCHS), a regional network of more than 120 primary care physicians and specialists from a broad array of medical specialties. BSCHS, a member of WMCHealth Network, includes Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, NY and St. Anthony Community Hospital in Warwick, NY.