Internal Number: REQ-020269
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
The Assistant Laboratory Manager is responsible for overseeing the day to day operations of the laboratory, as well as reviewing the work performed by employees assigned to the sub-sections for quality and accuracy and assures that all procedures and work performed complies with regulatory standards and performs other duties as assigned.
Under limited supervision of manager, and in accordance with Company policies, procedures and guidelines, this position:
* Assists in maintaining standards of the accrediting and regulatory agencies. This includes but is not limited to the performance, maintenance and development of policy and procedure manuals, safety plan, quality assurance plan, and compliance plan.
* Assists in scheduling personnel to optimize productivity and minimize unbudgeted hours.
* Assists with staffing, which includes interviewing, hiring and training new employees.
* Works collaboratively to create a unified working environment Develops positive relationships with employees, systems supervisors, and managers, physicians and outside contacts.
* Assists in promoting a team effort within the department and supports the same effort system-wide.
* Establishes and monitors the standards of accuracy, precision and efficiency in performance of laboratory tests or the operation of equipment in all areas of the lab which include, but not limited to: Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Blood Bank, and Phlebotomy.
* Takes corrective action and documents results, as required in all areas of the lab.
* Assists in assuring compliance with laboratory and Medical Center safety and infection control policies.
* Maintains high level of proficiency and current knowledge of trends in laboratory medicine in all areas of the lab, which include, but not limited to, Chemistry, Hematology, microbiology, Blood Bank, and Phlebotomy.
* Assists with clinical orientation on new equipment and methodology and coordinates continuing education and in-services for staff with Education Coordinator.
* Coordinate centralized inventory and ordering system for assigned hospital laboratory departments.
* Assists in facilitating proficiency testing for Medical Technologists.
* May perform clinical testing in all areas of the lab which includes, but not limited to Chemistry, Hematology, Urinalysis, Coagulation, Microbiology, Blood Bank, and Phlebotomy, that requires a complex network of steps and variables to produce laboratory results for use by the health care team in assessment and treatment of the patient.
* Correlates clinical information and/or previous lab results to evaluate the validity of current results.
* Reports results via appropriate means in a timely manner meeting community and/or national standards
* Supervises and evaluates employees' performance for quality, accuracy, and conformity to policy and procedure.
* Addresses employee concerns and resolves issues associated with the concerns.
* Assists with training and clinical orientation of medical technologists and other laboratory staff assigned to work in the department in all areas of the Lab which includes, but not limited to, Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Blood Bank, and Phlebotomy.
* Assists in assuring all procedures and work performed comply with TJC, CAP and other regulatory standards.
* Able to take call for scheduling and troubleshooting issues.
* Bachelor degree in medical technology or related science from an accredited program
* Current certification or registration as a Medical Technologist such as ASCP
* Valid and current State of Hawaii license as a Medical Technologist
* Minimum three (3) years clinical laboratory experience and minimum of two (2) years supervisory experience in a hospital/commercial lab setting. The Medical Director may use discretion in assignment of managerial position to an individual with less than 5 years of experience
* Strong computer skills (word and Excel) and knowledge in lab information systems required
* Proven leadership, decision-making, and organizational skills
* For hospital settings, additional requirements may apply and change without notice, including, but not limited to, criminal background check, health clearance and hospital compliance training
* Successfully pass Company pre-employment drug test and periodic and random thereafter
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii, LLP
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.