Location: Poughkeepsie, New York
The Central Service Technician is responsible for the centralized cleaning, decontamination, storage, processing, assembling, issuance and preparation of medical/surgical supplies and equipment. The technician must perform tasks quickly and efficiently, paying close attention to detail and understanding the principles involved in each task performed. The Technician also performs a variety of duties to maintain infection control standards for the health and safety of hospital patients, medical staff and personnel.Job
- Cleans all reusable patient care items returned from nursing and special care units according to Central Service procedure manual.
- Inspects all reusable items for damage and/or missing part.
- Successfully operates and understands the mechanical functioning of ultrasonic washer/dryer, cart washer and washer/decontaminator.
- Follows prescribed procedures in preparation and assembly of reusable sets of instruments and equipment used in Patient Care Units, Surgical Services, Radiology Room, Emergency Room, etc.
- Exercises particular attention to detail in organizing tray material and setup and consistently exercises care in protecting all equipment.
- Identifies correctly the unassembled of each surgical components instrument tray, inspecting each instrument for possible defects and to ensure cleanliness. Pays particular attention to reassembly of non-standard trays and is extremely proficient in this area.
- Assembles accurately each surgical instrument tray to correspond correctly with prescribed listing on each individual tray by use of kardex and picture kardexes.
- Maintains accurate records of all instruments and equipment processed through the sterilizers.
- Loads steam/gas sterilizer carriage according to AAMI standards.
- Conducts safety checks of steam and Hydrogen Peroxide sterilizers following prescribed policy.
- Cleans all sterilizers, carts and carriages following prescribed procedures.
- Maintains Central Service inventory of sterile items on shelves. Checks outdates weekly.
- Demonstrates both speed and accuracy in filling surgical case cart requisitions for each surgical procedure performed in the Operating Room and transports the filled carts to the OR.
- Assists in the ordering and inventory control of supplies using the department computer.
- Uncases and puts away supplies.
- Puts away laundry, checking for stains and tears. Calls for linen as necessary.
- Assists in data collection in cooperating with quality insurance.
- Knows parameters of steam and Hydrogen Peroxide sterilization, aeration, chemical indicators, expiration dating, Bowie Dick Tests, cultures and decontamination equipment testing (Tosi, sono check and cart wash check).
- Performs chemical and biological testing following quality assurance guidelines.
- Reports problems to appropriate supervisor.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCECentral Service or Operating Room experience preferred.EDUCATIONHigh school graduate or equivalent.LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS
- CBSPD -CertificationBoard of Sterile Processing and Distribution
- IAHCSMM - InternationalAssociation of Healthcare Central Service MaterialManagement
MidHudson Regional Hospital
MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY, is home to the mid-Hudson Valley's most advanced healthcare services. This 243-bed facility cares for more than 10,000 inpatients annually while performing an additional 325,000 outpatient procedures each year. MidHudson Regional Hospital operates the area's only Level II trauma center, is home to the Redl Center for Cancer Care and Center for Robotic Surgery, and is a destination hospital for patients with serious illnesses and injuries.